Monday, October 4, 2010

Change of scenery

It's nice being back in New Orleans.  Things are reassuringly the same.  Same beautiful houses, same daily gun violence that never fails to blow my mind when I think about how few people live here and how many die each year.  The beignets are the same, the French Quarter hasn't changed.  Our football team will still give you heart failure down to the very last play of the game.  The streets are the same.  The city is the same.  The government is still hopelessly broken, and we still have the best musicians the country has to offer.

The only thing I found that was different was the Mississippi river.  I can't remember the last time I saw it so low.  A couple of months back it looked like this:


              


It's always been my favorite place to sit.  Of course it was one of my first stops when I got here Thursday.  Right now it looks like this:


                



Really trying to remember the last time I saw it like that.  Not quite sure what to make of it.  I kind of like it though.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Have you found out what has caused the river to drop?? I like that you took both photos in the exact same spot.