Saturday, June 26, 2010

Here we go again

It's happening again.  I hear it everywhere I go.  An entire country has developed a fetish for a sport that in reality, they know or care nothing about.  It's like the fucking Olympics all over again.

Really people?  Soccer?  You're trying to make me believe you give a flying fuck about soccer?  Before June 11th, you couldn't name a single player on the American team, could you?  No, you couldn't.  Don't lie to me.

The last time most of these people watched a soccer game was during the last World Cup four fucking years ago.  Now everyone's running around, gravely concerned about whether or not the U.S. will advance to the next round.  Again, I'm really not sure how winning a soccer game makes one country superior to another, but I guess that's the world we're living in now.  Nice to know we've got our priorities in order.

Although I have to admit, I can appreciate Kimi's reasons for watching.  As she likes to say, basically, the World Cup is a collection of the most beautiful men on the planet running around all sweaty and delicious on TV for four weeks.  I can get behind that.  Today at work, when Chile and Spain were about to play, she grabbed me and positioned me in front of the TV as the camera slowly panned across the players close-up as they stood for the national anthem.

Ah.  Yes.  I think I'm starting to see what the fuss is all about...

No comments: