Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oh, you're damn right it counts...

There has been question from someone out there about whether or not my previous post counts in regards to my current challenge.  You're motherfucking right it counts!  First of all, the rules specifically state that I must post something, even something about nothing, every day for a month.  Posting only a picture does not count, OK, fine.  A story and explanation will accompany all photos until December 5th, when I win, I mean when the four weeks is up.  But nowhere did anyone say anything about the length or word count of posts.  So yes, hell yes, even though my previous post was about nothing and pretty short at that, it still counts.  This one does too.

Let's face it, folks, in this day and age, the day of twitter and facebook, tumblr and microwave meals,  brevity is where is at.  There's too much going on, too much information to absorb.  Who has time to sit still?  Who has time to listen to me drivel on for more than a paragraph or two?

Besides, much can be said with few words.  Don't we all remember the famous story where Hemingway (although that it was actually him is still undetermined) makes a bet that he could write a dramatic (or maybe not dramatic, maybe just short) short story using only six words, a short story that had a beginning, a middle, and an end?  And everyone takes the bet and what he comes up with is this:

For sale, baby shoes, never worn.

And of course he wins the bet and everyone thinks he's brilliant.  He really was brilliant, regardless of whether that story can accurately be attributed to him or not.

Are you still listening to me?  Paying attention?  No.  I've lost you.  I don't blame you.  I'm going on about nothing.  See, it goes back to what I was saying before.  Any more than a paragraph or two and people are going to tune out.  Brevity.  Good stuff.

No comments: