Friday, March 5, 2010

Love affair

I was riding my bike down by the river today.  The sky was red from the setting sun, casting a deep pink shine on the water, all sleek and sexy.  The lights were coming on downtown, and the city was glittering.  It was then that I had to stop pedaling, because my eyes were blurred with tears.

I am so fucking happy to be home.

Have you ever rekindled a love affair with a former flame?  A former flame that you were passionately in love with, that you had sheet-grabbing, shirt-tearing, back-arching sex with?  You know those initial stages, when you can't get enough, when you can't wait to retrace every pleasure-zone, reveling in the familiar nooks and crannies of your sweetheart's body, delighted by what is still the same and discovering the ways you both have changed?  When you want nothing more but to gaze into each other's eyes, to kiss and caress, to devour each other, wholly and completely?

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at with the city of New Orleans right now.

My love for this town, it's almost unbearable sometimes.  No other place on the planet can do it to me like she does.  I wish I knew why.  I've tried to break away, oh sweet Lucifer have I tried.  San Francisco did her best, but could never seem to completely satisfy.  Like a neglected wife, I kept having to sneak away to the seductive arms of my former lover at every possible opportunity.

Sorry, SF.  The song was mistaken.  I left my heart in New Orleans.  You're beautiful, you're well put-together.  We had some amazing times, didn't we?  You have a lot to offer.  We'll always be friends.  I'll always love you.  But I'm not "in love" with you.  Don't worry, I'll still come around.  We'll still have lots of fun together.  Hey, you never know what might happen in the future.  Seriously.  But right now...

Right now I'm exactly where I want to be.  I hope you understand.

3 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

Such a lively post bristling with the fire of passions! And its all about a magic place! Enjoyed this so much!

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

I've lived in New Orleans for from 1978-1981, and I love it too. I can understand why such a place have a hold on you..

Christina, Sweden said...

I really enjoy your writing! what passion for this city, wow, must be something. Well Stockholm, the capital of Sweden and where I have a small flat, attracts me to