Thursday, May 20, 2010

That river in Egypt

I've been swimming around in it for about a month now.  Since April 20th, to be exact.  Doing my best to stay deep beneath the surface.

Denial.

On April 20th, 2010 the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, killing eleven human souls, injuring seventeen more, and completely fucking up the Gulf of Mexico.

I avoided the pictures.  Ignored the newscasts.  Overlooked the articles.  I couldn't do it.  I couldn't think about it, because when I did, even just for a minute, the magnitude of the situation was overwhelming and I would become frantic with anxiety.  One morning I cried the same way I cried after Hurricane Katrina, when I saw my beautiful city on television, simultaneously underwater and on fire.

We cut the fucking Earth open, people.  She's bleeding, profusely, and poisoning herself.  We're not supposed to be doing that shit.

So of course I don't want to cry and have anxiety, so I've been trying not to pay attention to what's been going on, trying not to think about it.  But then I saw the video of the oil gushing out of the broken motherfucking pipe.  Have you seen it?  It's right here.

After that, the same friend sent me this and this.  The oil slick can be seen from space now.  Well isn't that just fucking fantastic.

Now, it's all I can think about.  I devour every article I can find, I listen to the news in the car and scream at the radio.  I lay on the couch with my fancy internet phone...

Me: "Motherfuckers!"

Him: "What, you reading about the oil spill again?"

Me: "Yeah...  Fuck.  Damn it.  Do you want to know what's going on NOW?"

Him: "Well, I have a feeling you're going to tell me either way..."

I'm starting to get obsessed.

I'm trying not to go too crazy.  But fuck man.  This is some really fucked up shit.  We're only just getting started, too...

1 comment:

Jonny Hamachi said...

Prolong the Inevitable.
The Planet will still be here, we're just fucking ourselves.
Sucks to be Human.